Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Introducing my new friend.... the terb pump



So for the last 4 weeks I've been taking terbutaline pills to help stop my contractions. Terbutaline is an asthma medicine that relaxes smooth muscles (including the uterus) the doctor's often prescribe for preterm labor. It was working pretty well, up until labor day (see labor day post below). Since then, I was having contractions breaking through the pills. So they decided to put me on a terbutaline pump that delivers the medicine constantly into my body. I have to stick my leg with this little needle that inserts a small catheter just under the skin, then the needle comes out. The tube connected to the pump hooks up to the catheter and the pump delivers a very small steady dose of terbutaline (0.06mg/hour). Every 4 hours it delivers a large dose of 0.24mg, and if any time my contractions are getting bad, I can have it deliver the larger dose, as long as it's been at least an hour since my last large dose. The pump has a case that clips to my pants and a bag I put it in when I take a shower. I only have to change the catheter every 5 days, so at least I don't have to stick myself every day. I have to change out the medicine cartridge daily though, but they send me all the stuff by fedex weekly.

It seems to be working really well so far. My contractions are coming about 2-3 an hour, they speed up a bit the hour before my large dose is due usually, but as soon as I get that they taper off. The first night, it turned out I didn't have the tubing connected completely and all the medicine leaked out. Then when I woke up I was contracting like crazy. I realized it was leaking so I changed the injection site and reconnected everything. I strapped on my monitor, and holy cow, I was having 10 contractions an hour . The nurse about freaked out and made me give myself a large dose and drink a quart of water (yes, a quart) and remonitor. Luckily they slowed down to 3 an hour once the medicine was being delivered correctly.

So it seems like I really did need this thing after all. I had no idea without the meds how bad my contractions could get. Some of them were even painful, which has never happened before. It was scary. So, even though it sucks being hooked up to this thing all the time, I guess it is necessary at this point, and it seems to be working well.

When I changed the injection site yesterday I let Steve stick me, and he enjoyed way too much. When I did it it didn't hurt at all, when he did it it felt like someone jabbing a knife in my leg and he thought it was hillarious. He's seriously diabolical.

2 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

We're just thankful they have the technology to have these sorts of things where you can do all this at home!

Tell Steve karma will get him - you're going to put pins in him while he sleeps or something! hehe!

Kristen said...

I say Steve deserves diaper duty for the first month.

It's scary to think how many contractions you would be having without this medication. I'm so thankful they started you on it when they did.