Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I think I sent this email to everyone who has supported me in the MOD March for Babies, but in case I missed anyone, I want to post it here as well, as a follow-up to my previous entry asking for support. I just want all the info out there.

--------------
It has been brought to my attention that the March of Dimes may be involved in supporting Planned Parenthood, the use of abortion to decrease the incidence of children born with birth defects, and research involving the use of fetal tissues to expand the understanding of birth defects and pregnancy issues relating to preterm birth - http://www.lifeissues.org/marchofdimes/index.html (there are other resources that support this as well). You all know that I, personally, am 100% against supporting these actions. I was completely unaware of these claims until yesterday. I have since done much research myself, and feel the claims do have some validity. I did research the foundation prior to committing to my fundraising for the March for Babies walk, and I never came across this information. I do know that the March of Dimes is directly involved in supporting the research that led to the specific treatments that I received during both of my pregnancies that prevented me from delivering earlier than I did. Additionally, MOD also funded the research that led to the treatments that both of my boys received while in the NICU after birth. Much research still needs to be done to identify the causes of preterm labor and ways to prevent preterm births. Obviously, I am very passionate about helping to fund ethical research in any way I can, especially since I hope to have more children in the future, and I hope that by then, there are further treatments available to me to help prolong my pregnancies. These are the reasons for which I chose to support this foundation, as MOD is the primary funder of such research endeavors. However, I never would have asked my friends and family to donate to this cause had I known that the funds could somehow be used to support the taking of a life in any manner, for ANY reason. I feel terrible that many of you have sent money in support of me that could be used for this unknowingly. I want to thank you so very much for your support. MOD has done so much good for so many babies, including mine, and that was where my heart was/is in this. In the future I do plan to look into other organizations that support this type of research in a more ethical manner.

I just wanted all of you who donated or plan to donate to be fully aware of these allegations, and I encourage you to research for youself, if you like. I do not know if donations may be withdrawn, but if you so choose, based on this new information, you can try to contact MOD to persue a refund. If you have given me a check or cash, I will gladly withold it if you so choose. Because I have committed to this walk, and am supportive of much of the research done by this organization, I do still plan on participating. But I will be walking to support my babies, and the research that helped bring them into my arms healthy, as well as my future babies.

Thank you all, again, and please forgive me for not researching this further before I asked for your support.

Julie

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Did the sources you found specifically say the MOD supports termination of pregnancy? Because "planned parenthood" usually means prevention of pregnancy, prenatal care, and fertility treatments. It's not really something I've investigated, but I don't think planned parenthood organizations will perform abortions.

Julie said...

MOD supports abortion as a means of reducing the incidence of infants born with birth defects, research on aborted infants, etc. And I'm well aware that PP is highly involved in both performing abortions and counseling women on abortion (often pressuring young girls to have abortions). Here in Houston, PP is currently building the world's largest late-term abortion facility. I could support an organization that focused on the health of women and babies, including pregnancy prevention, prenatal care, etc, but one that helps women abort their babies is one I can not support.

Kristen said...

Geez. All these years I thought PP was there to increase community health. A late-term abortion facility?!? That's just disgusting! >_<