Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

15 month appointment

It went okay. I can't believe he's 15 months. Problem was, it was right in the middle of naptime, so he was not happy. They couldn't even get a weight on him without me holding him, so they had to weigh us together, then subtract my weight. He screamed for 25 minutes straight while we waited for the doctor and they hadn't even touched him yet. This boy is definitely dramatic. I'm sure everyone who walked by the room thought he was getting poked with needles or something. I ended up having to just let him lie on the floor and scream because he wouldn't let me hold him. That, in itself was exhausting. He has some will-power, definitely his mother's son. He was fine once the doctor came in and played with him.

He weighs 20lbs 4oz, 30.4" long. Still just barely on the curve, but she's happy with the growth he's made, so not worrying about it. His development seems to be a bit behind as far as verbal, and his uninterest in walking, though he does seem to understand words and is capable of walking, so she's not really worried about it yet. He's doing great as far as motor skills.
They had to draw blood to test his iron again. Ugh. That was horrible. I knew it would be. He has rolling veins and always has to get stuck at least twice. After 2 vein sticks they usually have to go for the finger. They poked around in his little arm for so long. I had to hold him and he just screamed and kept shaking his head NO. That's one form of communication he's knows at least. They then tried his hand and actually got a vein. His arm is so badly bruised today. I feel so bad for him. He got two shots as well. He was pretty miserable the rest of the night.

Some things I was surprised she asked that he either is not able to do or doesn't do very well:

Understand and follow simple commands, like "pick up your cup" or "give me that toy"

Learning to eat with utensils - He is doing better at this one, but only recently

Know where his eyes, nose, and mouth are - okay, I didn't even realize we were supposed to be teaching this yet. Although we have worked on nose a bit, and he knows that one well

Stack objects - He knows how to knock over stacked objects, does that count?

Does he mimmick sounds you make or animals make? He does not do this at all

I don't know, just the whole appointment made me feel like my kid is dumb. She said she wasn't worried about him, but I couldn't help it when the answer to nearly every question was "No" or "Not really." Just have to keep reminding myself that every child is different and learns at a different pace. I'm just happy he's a healthy boy, he's just patient and taking his time with some things.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Julie,
He was imitating me or I him when we were making growling sounds at New Years. He knew what he was doing. You and Steve are wonderful parents! Baby's don't come with owners manuals a lot of stuff you have to figure out along the way. I'm sure if you start playing the name the body part with him he will catch on very quickly. Isaac is a very robust and happy guy. He will walk, when he wants too! Some kids just take longer nothing to worry about, you have the proof that he can do it! Love you all, Liz

Rebecca Jo said...

Isaac is PERFECT... no one could tell me or Pappy any different!!!!

I can imagine him shaking his head no while they poked on him... that makes me want to cry!!!!

You're such a good mommy Julie - dont let anyone make you doubt yourself!!!!

Miss you guys SOOOO much... Love you!

Rachel Bo said...

Maybe he's just a procrastinator. :P

Lynn said...

Julie... Chandra heard alot of the same things about Camden... and I truly believe that boys are just "slower" than girls on the pick-up. Cam is catching up very nicely now that he wants to! Just work with him a little and you'll see he is fine... just unmotivated!

Anonymous said...

I'm Lynn's daughter and I wanted to give you some encouraging words. I felt the same way. I had to answer no to everything for Camden. He didn't crawl on his hands and knees until he was nearly 12 months. He didn't walk until 15 months. The drs even talked about sending him to First Steps. I felt like a lump and it was doubly hard having the girl first because she did everything early. Just take a deep breath...I'm sure you're doing a great job. Kids learn at their own pace and your dr. doesn't sound worried but they have to ask those silly questions in the interview of every well check visit.

Rebecca Jo said...

Come over to my blog girlie... I've tagged you! Gonna MAKE you blog!!!